A home to suit you

There are lots of reasons why you might need help with housing and we’re here to do whatever we can. We work closely with a range of partners, including the Department for Work and Pensions, Luton Borough Council and Central Bedfordshire Council. And we have around 365 homes for independent living for people in need in our local community. They’re spread across Luton, Dunstable, Caddington and Barton le Clay and range from bedsits and one-bedroom flats to houses with up to four bedrooms.

More than just housing

We offer so much more than a roof over your head. When you live in a Squared home for independent living you’ll get:

  • A dedicated housing team who’ll help you look after your tenancy and offer guidance and support
  • Help with budgeting and managing your rent payments
  • Access to local services
  • The comfort and ease of living in a well-maintained property
  • A chance to achieve your goals while living in a secure environment so you can move on with your life

How to apply for Squared homes for independent living

We don’t run a waiting list for people who aren’t already living in one of our properties. Instead, we advertise some of our properties on the local choice-based lettings scheme so people on the general housing register for Luton and Dunstable can bid to rent them.

To apply to join the general housing register you can:

Your local authority will then assess your specific needs and if they add you to their register, you can apply for a home with us.

How to apply for Squared over 50 accommodation

If you need accommodation and you’re aged over 55 (or you’re over 50 and have medical needs), you can apply directly to us. Just complete our application form and we’ll assess it and be in touch.

How we assess applicants

As we have a limited supply of accommodation, we assess all applicants using a points system to make sure it’s fair. To be considered for one of our homes, you’ll need to score at least a minimum number of points. For example, we award points if you’re suffering from:

  • Homelessness
  • Overcrowding
  • A lack of basic amenities
  • No security of tenure
  • A property that’s unsuitable for you because of your health or a disability
  • Your family being separated
  • Social difficulties such as harassment
  • A need for support from friends or relatives

Moving on from your Squared home

We currently offer assured tenancies for our homes for independent living. This means that, if you choose to, you can stay in your home for as long as you like. Often though, people choose to move on by renting a home privately or buying a home.

If you need to move for health reasons, or because the home you rent from us is no longer suitable for your needs you can apply to go on our transfer list – please contact us to discuss this further. For any current Homes Squared tenants transfer forms can be found on the tenant portal. You can also search for your own move via a mutual exchange, this is where you can swap your property with another tenant of any Council or Housing Association subject to agreement from both landlords. Most people who exchange find their exchange partners via a website called HomeSwapper. This only applies to tenants on assured tenancies. 

Would you like more information on our homes for independent living?

Contact us